The Independents Flag

The Independents Flag
The Independents Flag

Monday, March 16, 2015

The 76th, A Rebuttle

So today I received a comment to my original post detailing the reasons I don't like the 76th Independent Battalion and why I made this blog instead of joining their group. I tried to respond to the comment, but the comment section doesn't give me enough characters to do it justice. Instead of splitting it into four or five comment responses, I'm just going to write a follow up essay using my responses to his/her (I don't know, the poster was anonymous). Hopefully those from the 76th or 76th sympathizers who have similar questions/comments/concerns will have the majority of their answers between these two posts - even if they don't agree with or like the answers.

 Here's the comment in its unedited form, followed by my responses to pertinent parts of the post.

You know, you have alot of gumption, to criticize a group of people who are as much of a diehard fan group as you are. However, with that being said, I do on certain points agree with you on the accuracy of the canon uniform in question. You do have to understand though that this group all started out, at the time with a concept that no one else had attempted or tried,. so it was in its own development stages. and the significance of the uniform specifics were just to make it worth while to be the first to proudly march in full array with every detail shiny so to say. But it was not dead on or canon accurate. So, I am willing to give you the shadow of the doubt to hear your take on the improvements or adjustments that could have or will have profane effects on the fan fare. BTW, I am one of those 76th Battalion. I marched in the very first Marches in Dragon Con, and I have done DC for 23 years straight. I have also costumed as the FF Mal version and the Serenity version which got Nathan Fillion's approval in person and even on his former MySpace profile at one time. So I am no amateur. But please elaborate further to indicate the cultivations that could have or would be a better way to improve the presentation of the Whedon fan group. Also, if you are not willing to commit to your craft and costuming to try to make things as canon accurate, then why should anyone see your convictions to any other fan fare projects. I understand the cost factor and agree that some expenditures could have been substituted for more affordable facets. But are you willing to commit to doing all the work that is necessary to make thme Canon accurate if it is a more affordable substitute? costuming/cosplaying is not a given craft, it takes time and skilled effort to make something form nothing. I should know, I have been doing this form all facets for 22 years, both costume design, to theatrical make-up, to prop design and all being painted weathered,etc. But back on point, I am willing to conceed and be open to hear your side of the story and your input. Thank you for at least standing your ground and being forthcoming about your opinions, it is good to have that 1st amendment right and to be able to contribute to the cause and concept.
Hello there, anonymous 76th-er! I’m happy you came on by my blog. I don’t give it the attention that I should, so it’s nice to know people see it now and again. I can go two ways with this response. I could make sarcastic comments on how you started your comment off on a real positive note. I could be vitriolic and respond about the gumption required to make non-canon concessions in a costume and then subsequently refuse to accept criticism on the subject all based on the grounds of “being there first.” Or I could excoriate your grammar and punctuation. But instead, I’m going to address some of the points you make, because I like feedback and I think it’s unprofessional to just shut people down.


“You do have to understand though that this group all started out, at the time with a concept that no one else had attempted or tried…”

I acknowledge the history of the 76th and I think it’s commendable. But it’s also deplorable that “they tried really hard” is considered a valid dispelling of any possibility of change or improvement. Imagine how miserable the world would be if we used the first draft of everything that was ever designed. You seem to be interested in civics, acknowledging the first amendment. The American Constitution’s first draft was the Articles of Confederation, and I’m certain you wouldn’t want to live in that version of America. In fact, the first amendment is a fix to the original Constitution. But if we’re sticking to first drafts here, we shouldn’t have a 1st amendment. Just food for thought.

Yes, it’s commendable that those who founded the 76th did something that no one else had done at the time, or had attempted to do. My counter argument is that, if I were around at the time, I would have done it better and it’s hardly my fault I became interested in the subject second. In fact, before starting this blog I contacted the 76th and expressed some of my concerns, and was firmly rebuffed.


“You know, you have alot of gumption, to criticize a group of people…”

Yes, I criticize the group. But I also extol its virtues. In fact, in future posts I actually reference the 76th’s helmet painting tutorial. Why? Because it’s a good tutorial and there’s no reason to make a new tutorial for something that’s already well covered. Please read the original post on the 76th again more thoroughly. Notice how much time I spend complimenting the 76th, acknowledging its place in the fandom, and thanking it for the framework it has created. It’s a great resource, and I’m sure it’s a good community for those who supplicate to the masters; but don’t think that by virtue of being first it has some ordained purity against critique or improvement. If the 76th were an organization receptive to making true to screen browncoat costumes, this blog wouldn’t exist. But it isn’t, and those in charge of the place don’t feel inclined to receive dissent, so I have created an alternative for those who want it.
  

“I have also costumed as the FF Mal version and the Serenity version which got Nathan Fillion's approval in person…”

I make the distinction that the 76th doesn’t do a screen accurate cosplay, they do a Firefly themed cosplay. I don’t want to be firefly themed, I want a costume that is equivalent to your Mal costume, one that those on set would endorse and say “hey, that’s spot on.” something indistinguishable from props and costumes found on set. I want to look like an extra on the show. The way that the 76th demands you assemble your cosplay does not fulfill that desire. They don’t look like the Independent soldiers did on screen.

Let’s use your Mal costume as a parallel for a minute. Hypothetcially, let’s say you changed a few things. For instance, you added a different kind of suspenders because you couldn’t find some that matched. Maybe the boots you could afford were lace up, but you wore them anyway. Now let us use a different color for the leather of the coat; a brown color but a different shade. Add some stuff to it that wasn’t there before, like a big patch on the arm and maybe some flashy knee pads to the britches. Use a revolver instead of a screen accurate Reynold’s pistol.

You may have perfect stitching, the highest quality materials, and it could be tailored perfectly. It might be a stellar costume and it would certainly resemble this familiar character called Captain Mal from that one show Firefly. But truthfully, is it really a Mal costume, or is it just a space cowboy that resembles Mal?

Now let’s look at the 76th. They require patterns, ornamentation, insignia, and accoutrements that are either different from or nonexistent in the screen images we have from the show. The 76th resemble browncoats from the show Firefly, but they’re not browncoats as seen on screen. In addition, the group is not open source. They hide much of their information behind closed boards requiring registration and all the proprietary patterns, accurate or not, are sold for profit by the founder. I find that to be contrary to the free and open costuming community. I plan to offer that kind of knowledge on this blog for those who want to put in the time to be a screen accurate browncoat but don’t want to supplicate to the cult of Boothe.

I want to be a “as seen on TV” browncoat. That’s what this blog is about. Those are our fundamental differences. And since this isn't a 76th hate blog (as I point out) I made the post to identify the reasons behind splintering from the established 76th group and creating this new project. I dislike what the 76th is doing sure, but I don’t hate them. They have their place. The only thing I object to on a personal level is the decision to use US rank insignia. It’s indescribably disrespectful to me and every other service member. The image I want to portray is incompatible with the 76th, so I choose not to participate. But since the 76th is a popular, recognizable, and pervasive costuming group in the firefly fandom; I posted a list of my dislikes about the group as a way of answering a potentially repetitious question: “Why not just join the 76th?” I respect the group enough to be honest with why we’re incompatible.


“…proudly march in full array with every detail shiny so to say.”

I am happy you’re proud to march in shiny array. But nothing about the browncoats as we know them via the show was shiny, so I don’t want that. I think it’s foolish to want that if you want to be a browncoat, but that’s a personal opinion not a critique or insult or attack. However, I acknowledge that the spic and span, neatly pressed, blemish free, look appeals to some people. The 76th caters to them, and while I wish the 76th would update its patterns and required materials (and take off the ****ing rank patches) I don’t necessarily think they should drop the parade pretty mystique. It’s unique, and it’s something that will always set the 76th apart from the rest. However, it’s not how I want to portray myself. However, the 76th wont accept someone with screen accurate clothing, so I can’t play. However, someone who wants perfectly pressed uniforms, as long as they're screen accurate, would be wlecome in the Shadow Irregulars… we’d just kind of think he was a weirdo who liked soap too much.


“But please elaborate further to indicate the cultivations that could have or would be a better way to improve the presentation of the Whedon fan group.”

This entire blog is my elaboration on how to improve the presentation of the fan group, please take the time to actually read it. I don’t really appreciate your gibe at my convictions though. Is this blog updated regularly, or frequently? No. But I’m also dedicated to my volunteering, my family, my career, and my education. This is for fun. To discount my ability to have a quantifiable impact on the hobby just because I don’t have 89 hours a day to devote to costuming is hardly much of an argument and is a bit discouraging to everyone except for those who dedicate their life to making costumes. It’s borderline discrimination. I mean, I could have some nasty things to say about someone who prioritizes their time so that they can make costumes all day instead of earning more money, having more sex, or developing one’s self personally. But that’s pretty low, and I wouldn’t have thought it up until you broached the issue. And I am not so crass as to insinuate that your proficiency in costuming is somehow at the expense of being a functional human being; so neither should you insinuate that my lack of surplus free time completely invalidates my worth as a costumer.


“But back on point, I am willing to conceed and be open to hear your side of the story…”

The thing is, and this is the point that I’m not sure where the line between honest and rude is, but for all the time you and your 76th buddies put into the costume: none of you seemed to have spared much thought for the canon accuracy of it all. I find that deplorable. No one who cared about screen accuracy would accept modern US Army rank patches, or vests with braiding in the wrong place, or smocks of the wrong material. You challenge me to be willing to commit time to doing the work necessary to make it accurate when you had the monopoly on the subject for years and did nothing to ensure accuracy? That’s preposterous and disappointing. As a fan, I feel betrayed by the group for having an opportunity to be a shining beacon and a leader in the genre. I feel like the group took advantage of their monopoly to interject someone’s, or a small cartel’s, perspective in an attempt to get a large group of people to carry on their personal lineage. I honestly wish that the 76th was accurate enough to be worth joining, as this blog is actually quite a bit of work. But the fans deserve a little extra work, so I don't mind so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment