The Independents Flag

The Independents Flag
The Independents Flag

Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Independents Patch, Prelude

As first order of business I've decided to tackle the Independent's patch issue. Even today the argument rages back and forth between fans and merchants. Star up or star down? Triangle up or down? It makes me drool sad brain numbing tongue tears that whenever I see a thread on the patch the only thing people bother talking about is up or down. Why does it make me angry? Because there's an answer directly from the costumers. Mal's patch was sewn on upside down. The star was supposed to be up. On the dead LT in Serenity the patch was star point up. The authorization codes were printed on it in such a way that they would be upside down if the patch was sewn on the way it was for Mal. To be honest as I dig I see an absurd level of variation between Browncoats dress, moreso than I'd anticipated. Point up or down can be chalked up to unit preference. Canon is King though. Both ways appear on screen. Which, for now, means as far as the Shadow Irregulars are concerned both ways are acceptable. What I want to know, what no one bothers to discuss, is who wore what kind of patch and when? We know that it is a rank insignia because the visual companion labels a picture of them as so.

So I'm going to go through Serenity's battle scene as well as The Message's. We'll see if we can't find any answers to some of those questions through trends in costume on screen. And holy crap is that tedious! And it is only step one. What follows is enlarging and cleaning up the images in photoshop to bring out details. I'm not sure I mind, but I'm not even half way through being half way near done.

I want to also go through any scene inside Mal's cabin on Serenity to see if he has Independent paraphialia on his walls such as a flyer or flag. Besides the film, Objects in Space, and Our Mrs. Reynolds I cannot think of a scene in his cabin. Which episodes am I missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment