The Independents Flag

The Independents Flag
The Independents Flag

Friday, January 4, 2013

The Official Firefly Companion Vol 1 and 2

So we're off to a wedding in California, but a three hour layover in Denver means time to blog! It occurs to me that a blog on costume design cannot be complete just by pouring over screenshots I find on the internet. So I downloaded a free video editing software that allows me to take the videos off my DVD and go through it frame by frame. Woo! Lots of eye crossing madness, but its worth it. I also know of the existence of the every useful visual companions to the series and film. These books are vital to success... but books cost money, so I'll probably be purchasing them slowly over the next couple months. I have no intention to stop working while waiting for them though. If I discover discrepancies with what I've already worked on, then I'll just have to update my work. Three points for use of the scientific method! In the mean time, anyone with the companion who wants to shed light on anything I've gotten wrong I'd appreciate the help. In such instances scans will be invaluable.

4 comments:

  1. I can tell you that you will find MANY discrepancies - mainly in that the star is BLUE - not black.

    Also the patch is supposed to be point down, star up - but some of them were sewn on incorrectly and made it on screen - resulting in the double canon.

    The ORIGINAL intent was for the patch to be oriented this way. It has been long confirmed by interviews with Joss and the costume designer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I do know about the point of the star and the difference between the intent and what the costumers put on some (but not all) of the uniforms. I do point this out in my patch blog post regarding my research into the patch and possible ways to reconcile the double canon.

      Though I don't think I have ever stated the blue vs. black thing before. I know I read it in various posts and in the screenshots from the companion, but never said it here. Very good point, that's a vital bit of minutiae that I should be pointing out. Thanks for the heads up, I'll post something soon about it.

      Delete
    2. That is good that you know this - I just wanted to make sure since you may not have said it, but you advertise it at the top of your blog.

      The star is not black....and yet you have a black star'd flag with a caption under it that reads "The independents Flag"

      Delete
    3. The patch is blue, but the fag is black. There is a difference. In the comics Book holds a flyer for the Independents and that's in red.

      Delete